The management and the student leadership of University of Cape Coast have embarked on a three-day retreat in Takoradi, Western Region from Friday, 23rd -Sunday, 25th February, 2018.
The retreat which is bi-annual enables management of the University and the student leadership to take stock of activities in the University for the past year and also adopt strategies that would help create a conducive academic environment for all members of the University.
Opening the workshop, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Joseph Ghartey Ampiah, underscored the importance of the retreat and explained that it was an opportunity to evaluate what has been done in the past and find ways of improving them. He called for cooperation between management and students’ leadership to help provide a serene atmosphere for students to have a lifetime learning experience.
The Chairman of the Monitoring and Evaluation Team of Management/Student leadership retreats who also doubles as the Vice-Dean of Students’ Affairs used the occasion to apprise members of the progress made with the resolutions that were reached at the previous retreat. Members observed that about 80% of the resolutions at the previous retreat has been achieved. The remaining 20% were ongoing projects such as rehabilitation of lecture theatres, improvement of ICT infrastructure and other minor projects.
Issues that came up for discussion bothered on academic, staff and students’ welfare, hall activities, security, works and services and other general issues.
At the retreat, members agreed, among other things, that first year students on the distance education programme should be affiliated to halls of residence. This is to give them a sense of belonging and also provide them with certain privileges.
The Vice-Chancellor reiterated that any student group that initiates disturbances on campus that will call for police reinforcement will be surcharged for the cost associated with the re-enforcement.
The team of University Management comprised the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Joseph Ghartey Ampiah; the Pro-Vice Chancellor, Prof. G. K. T. Oduro; the Registrar, Mr. J. K. Nyan; the Director of Finance, Mrs. Elizabeth Obese.
The others members of management were Prof. L. K. Sam Amoah, Provost of the College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences; Prof. Eric Magnus Wilmot, Provost, College of Education Studies; Prof. Dora F. Edu-Buandoh, Provost, College of Humanities and Legal Studies, Prof. Isaac Galyuon, Provost, College of Distance Education and Prof. Johnson Nyarko Boampong, Provost, College of Health and Allied Sciences.
Other participants included some directors of directorates, heads of hall of residence, the Dean and Vice-Dean of Students’ Affairs, the Head of Security; JCRC Presidents of the various halls of residence; Presidents of the Student Representative Council, Graduate Students’ Association of Ghana - UCC Chapter and Distance Education Students Association of Ghana - UCC.
In all, a total of 48 resolutions were reached for implementation.